Johannesburg, Jan 05: South Africa completed a sweep of their two match series against Sri Lanka as they strolled to a 10-wicket win on the third day of the second test on Tuesday.
South Africa knocked off a target of 67 runs without loss as openers Dean Elgar (31 not out) and Aiden Markram (36 not out) saw them to victory at the Wanderers Stadium – with two and a half days of the contest still remaining.
Success in Johannesburg followed a convincing innings and 45-run triumph in the first test in Pretoria last week and turns around a poor run of test form over the last year.
Sri Lanka were bowled out for 211 in their second innings, surviving only 95 minutes of Tuesday’s morning session. They resumed their second innings at 150-4 overnight with a tenuous five-run lead but with captain Dimuth Karunaratne not out on 91 and hoping to set the home side an imposing target to chase in the fourth innings.
Karunaratne reached his 10th test century off 123 balls as the visitors began in aggressive fashion, but a misjudged pull shot saw the Sri Lanka skipper top edge Anrich Nortje to be caught by Wiaan Mulder in a major blow to their hopes, just 20 minutes into the day’s play. He was dismissed for 103.
Niroshan Dickwella, who scored 36, followed in the next over as Lungi Ngidi (4-44) took another crucial wicket, setting off an end to the resistance among the lower order.
Lutho Sipamla cleaned up the tail with three wickets in 12 balls, including bowling Wanindu Hasaranga for 16, to finish with figures of 3-40.
Sri Lanka, who won the toss and elected to bat, scored 157 in their first innings and South Africa replied with 302, with Elgar top scoring on 127.
South Africa now look ahead to their first visit in 14 years to Pakistan, where they will play two tests and three Twenty20 internationals later this month, while Sri Lanka return home to host England in two tests in Galle. The first starts on Jan. 14.
Sgr girl bags gold medal in 20th Junior National Championship
(Asian News Hub) – A young girl from Srinagar has bagged the gold medal in 20th Junior National championship held in LPU Jalandhar.
Sadia Tariq, a student of Class 10th in Presentation Convent Higher Secondary School Rajbagh Srinagar has so far bagged many medals at national and international levels in Wushu and Taekwondo.
While talking to the news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO) Sadia said that she got interested in sports activities after she was watching wrestling on TV and started taking part in sports activities when she was in 3rd primary.
I have taken part at District Level Sports Championship and then state followed by national and international level and bagged silver, bronze and gold medals at national and international level, she said.
Her parents told that their dream is to see the child perform at mega stages and presently she is preparing for Asian Games and Olympics.
They said that parents must allow their children to choose their dream and allow them to make their future as an athlete. The parents should not force their children to become only doctors or engineers, they said.
“We have already spent lakhs on our child so as to excel her in the field in which the child is interested,” they added.
IPL 2021 suspended owing to increase in Covid-19 cases
(Asian News Hub) – The ongoing edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) has been suspended owing to an increase in the number of Covid-19 cases within the bio-bubble.
BCCI’s vice-president Rajeev Shukla confirmed the development. “IPL has been suspended, we will see whether we can reschedule it, it is not cancelled. It is just suspended for now,” he said.
Earlier on Tuesday, SunRisers Hyderabad’s wicketkeeper-batsman Wriddhiman Saha tested positive for Covid-19.
Sources within the SRH camp confirmed to ANI that Saha was the lone person in the SRH unit to have tested positive and as a result, the entire team was.
“Yes, Wriddhiman Saha has tested positive for the coronavirus. Our entire team is now under isolation and there are no other positive reports, rest are all negative,” the member of the team management said.
SRH was slated to square off against Mumbai Indians later on Tuesday at the Arun Jaitley Stadium. This comes after two KKR players — Varun Chakravarthy and Sandeep Warrier — tested positive for Covid-19 and two members of the Chennai Super Kings contingent.
The IPL match between Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) and Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) slated to be played on Monday evening was rescheduled for a later date and the game between CSK and Rajasthan Royals was also set to be officially postponed as the CSK unit is in isolation.
The BCCI issued a release on the twin cases in KKR and said: “Varun Chakravarthy and Sandeep Warrier were found to be positive in the third round of testing in the last four days. All other team members have tested negative for COVID-19.”
BCCI suspends all age-group tournaments with eye on COVID-19 situation
(Asian News Hub) – With an eye on the prevailing COVID-19 situation in the country, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has decided to suspend all age-group competitions like the upcoming Vinoo Mankad Trophy and will assess the situation further post the 2021 edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL).
In a letter to the state associations, accessed by ANI, BCCI Secretary Jay Shah informed them of the situation and the decision to suspend age-group competitions at present as that would require inter-city travel and creation of bio bubbles.
“The domestic season 2020-21 started unusually late owing to the countrywide lockdown on account of the global pandemic.
The pandemic meant that we had to wait until January 2021 to start our domestic season and as discussed in the 89th AGM, we began our season by hosting the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy ahead of the IPL Auction.
“The domestic T20 tournament was followed by the Vijay Hazare Trophy, which was successfully conducted at different centres in India with New Delhi’s Arun Jaitley Stadium hosting the final between UPCA and MCA on Sunday, 14th March.
“The Women’s Senior One Day Trophy is also currently underway at different centres with the final scheduled to take place on 4th April. While our endeavour was to get in as many matches as was practicable across different age groups in the season, prevailing circumstances have now forced us to suspend all age-group tournaments.
This is on account of the fact that active COVID cases are on the rise and organising tournaments requires intercity travel, strict quarantine measures and the creation and maintenance of bio-secure bubbles for the participants,” he explained.
The secretary then added that with the board exams round the corner, it would be appropriate to plan the age-group games post the IPL slated to be held between April 9 and May 30.
“Moreover, the situation is presently not conducive in some states.
Considering the fact that the 10th and 12th board examinations are also around the corner across India, it is prudent that our young athletes have the opportunity to prepare and focus on these crucial examinations.
“Furthermore, our players’ health, safety and well-being are our primary concern. I assure you that we will continue exploring a window for organising the age-group tournaments post the IPL 2021,” he added.
Army man found dead under mysterious circumstances at Badami Bagh, Sgr
It’s starlink satellite train in sky, no need to panic: ADGP Jammu
Residential house gutted in Mamar blaze
- Medical Science6 days ago
As new Covid variant surfaces, Doctors body calls for enhanced genome sequencing
- State6 days ago
LeT associate caught with ammunition at Anantnag bus stand
- Politics6 days ago
Killing innocents in the name of militancy unacceptable: Ghulam Nabi Azad
- State6 days ago
14-yr-old boy from Mirgund dies at JVC Bemina, family alleges medical negligence
- State6 days ago
Hyderpora Gunfight: Omar demands return of Ramban youth’s body to family
- State4 days ago
177 Army, CAPF men killed in last 3 years in JK: Govt
- State2 days ago
Traffic cop injured in Rajouri Kadal
- Politics5 days ago
Govt ready to discuss all issues, answer all questions: PM Modi