Connect with us

International

Amid third Covid wave, France to go into month-long lockdown from today

(Asian News Hub) – In view of an increasingly alarming situation at hospitals with a rise in the numbers of coronavirus patients, French Prime Minister Jean Castex has imposed a month-long lockdown in 16 areas of the country, including the greater Paris and Nice areas.

The fresh curbs will come into effect from Friday midnight lasting four weeks but are less restrictive than measures imposed in March and November of last year, according to a report.

“Our choice, to be less restrictive on possibilities to leave one’s home, will need to go hand in hand with real caution,” Castex said.

“This is clearly about allowing for people to be outside, but not to go to friends’ homes to have a party or meet with many people without social distancing or a face mask. We know that it is in that kind of situation that the virus prospers,” the French Prime Minister added.

As per the new guidelines, people will be encouraged to work from home and will be allowed to go outdoors to walk or exercise only after having an ‘approval certificate’. They also cannot go further than 10 km from their home.

The nighttime curfew – currently in effect from 6 pm – will be extended to 7 pm when the new measures are implemented, news agency ANI quoted CNN as saying.

Schools and universities will remain open. Essential businesses will remain open – and these will now include book shops and music shops.

Earlier, Castex on Tuesday said that the country has entered ‘a kind of third wave’ of Covid-19 infections, amid a surge of cases as numerous variants of the virus has affected the nation.

“The pandemic is playing overtime. We are in what looks like a form of third wave … characterized by the variants,” Castex had said, addressing the parliamentarians.

He also announced that the French would be able to get inoculated with the AstraZeneca vaccine starting Friday afternoon — and that he himself will be getting a shot “to show we can have complete confidence.” Castex is making for himself an exception to the age rule, moving to the front of the line of those awaiting vaccinations, currently reserved for people 75 and older or with serious health concerns.

France and some other countries briefly suspended the use of the vaccine over fears of blood clots, and are resuming it after the European Medicines Agency gave its green light earlier Thursday.

France has so far recorded a total of 4,241,959 infections and 91,833 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University (JHU).

AGENCIES

Continue Reading

International

South Africa confirms third wave as COVID-19 cases continue to Soar

(Asian News Hub) – South Africa logged morethan 10,000 COVID-19 cases, which represents a 15.7% positivity testing rate.

According to the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD), figures from the past seven days show that South Africa is now experiencing the third wave.

“South Africa technically entered the third wave today as the national seven-day moving average incidence of 5,959 cases, which now exceeds the new wave threshold, as defined by the Ministerial Advisory Committee (MAC),” the NICD said.

The majority of the new infections are from Gauteng 61%.

Continue Reading

International

Internet services restored in six districts of Balochistan after five years

(Asian News Hub) – The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority has issued instructions to telecom operators to restore internet service in KP’s Khyber district and six districts of Balochistan after five years.

People will now be able to use the internet in the following areas.

Turbat city

Kech

Panjgur

Awaran

Washuk

Kalat

Awaran-Bela Road

The decision has been taken “in pursuance of the government’s vision of providing internet services across the country.”

The instructions were issued after the security situation in the areas was reviewed.

Cellular mobile operators have been told to upgrade their existing infrastructure from 2G to 3G/4G.

“The restoration of data services will help residents to fulfill their educational, health, commerce, and communication needs,” the PTA said in a press release.

Internet services will be restored in other areas in a “phased manner”, according to the authority.

People and students in Balochistan staged protests against the lack of internet coverage in the province. They claimed that they faced difficulties as their educational institutions shifted to online classes because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Continue Reading

International

Bangladeshi woman cuts off attacker’s penis in Spain

The woman was arrested after admitting to the assault, alleging that her boss was attempting to rape her

(Asian News Hub) – Police in Spain arrested a Bangladeshi woman in her thirties for allegedly cutting off her boss’s genitals with a knife, which she said she had done as he was attempting to rape her, reported Daily Mail.

She told officers she was trying to defend herself against sexual assault at a bar in Sant Andreu de la Barca around midnight on Tuesday.

The sliced man was rushed to the hospital for an emergency operation to reattach his penis.
The woman is currently being held at a police station following her arrest.

Officers have initiated an investigation into her statements that she was acting in self-defense but have not eliminated the prospect of arresting the bar owner once he is conscious enough to be questioned.

According to police sources, the woman had told them she had been being harassed for months and was forced to have sex with her boss several times before she assaulted him with the knife during his latest alleged rape attempt.

A representative for the regional Mossos d’Esquadra police force confirmed on Tuesday that the woman was arrested for the crime of wounding in the early hours of the morning after she contacted police to explain what happened.

The man’s nationality has not been revealed yet, but he is believed to be from Bangladesh or Pakistan.

AGENCY

Continue Reading

Trending