(Asian News Hub) – Seychelles, which has fully vaccinated more of its population against Covid-19 than any other country, has closed schools and canceled sporting activities for two weeks as infections surge.
The measures, which include bans on the intermingling of households and the early closure of bars, come even as the country has fully vaccinated more than 60% of its adult population with two doses of coronavirus vaccines. The curbs are similar to those last imposed at the end of 2020.
“Despite of all the exceptional efforts we are making, the Covid-19 situation in our country is critical right now with many daily cases reported last week,” Peggy Vidot, the nation’s health minister, said at a press conference Tuesday.
The Indian Ocean archipelago, which has a population of about 98,000, is dependent on tourism for much of its foreign exchange and acted quickly to begin vaccinations in January using a donation of Chinese vaccines from the United Arab Emirates. It has procured other vaccines since.
By April 12, 59% of the doses administered were Sinopharm vaccines and the rest were Covishield, a version of AstraZeneca Plc’s shot made under license in India.
To date 62.2% of its eligible population is fully vaccinated, according to the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker. That compares with 55.9% for Israel, the next most vaccinated nation.
Officials at the press conference gave little detail on what could be behind the infection surge other than to say people were taking fewer precautions against the virus than before and the surge may be due to celebrations after Easter.
The number of active cases in the nation rose to 1,068 on May 3 from 612 on April 28, according to health ministry announcements.
South Africa confirms third wave as COVID-19 cases continue to Soar
(Asian News Hub) – South Africa logged morethan 10,000 COVID-19 cases, which represents a 15.7% positivity testing rate.
According to the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD), figures from the past seven days show that South Africa is now experiencing the third wave.
“South Africa technically entered the third wave today as the national seven-day moving average incidence of 5,959 cases, which now exceeds the new wave threshold, as defined by the Ministerial Advisory Committee (MAC),” the NICD said.
The majority of the new infections are from Gauteng 61%.
Internet services restored in six districts of Balochistan after five years
(Asian News Hub) – The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority has issued instructions to telecom operators to restore internet service in KP’s Khyber district and six districts of Balochistan after five years.
People will now be able to use the internet in the following areas.
The decision has been taken “in pursuance of the government’s vision of providing internet services across the country.”
The instructions were issued after the security situation in the areas was reviewed.
Cellular mobile operators have been told to upgrade their existing infrastructure from 2G to 3G/4G.
“The restoration of data services will help residents to fulfill their educational, health, commerce, and communication needs,” the PTA said in a press release.
Internet services will be restored in other areas in a “phased manner”, according to the authority.
People and students in Balochistan staged protests against the lack of internet coverage in the province. They claimed that they faced difficulties as their educational institutions shifted to online classes because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Bangladeshi woman cuts off attacker’s penis in Spain
The woman was arrested after admitting to the assault, alleging that her boss was attempting to rape her
(Asian News Hub) – Police in Spain arrested a Bangladeshi woman in her thirties for allegedly cutting off her boss’s genitals with a knife, which she said she had done as he was attempting to rape her, reported Daily Mail.
She told officers she was trying to defend herself against sexual assault at a bar in Sant Andreu de la Barca around midnight on Tuesday.
The sliced man was rushed to the hospital for an emergency operation to reattach his penis.
The woman is currently being held at a police station following her arrest.
Officers have initiated an investigation into her statements that she was acting in self-defense but have not eliminated the prospect of arresting the bar owner once he is conscious enough to be questioned.
According to police sources, the woman had told them she had been being harassed for months and was forced to have sex with her boss several times before she assaulted him with the knife during his latest alleged rape attempt.
A representative for the regional Mossos d’Esquadra police force confirmed on Tuesday that the woman was arrested for the crime of wounding in the early hours of the morning after she contacted police to explain what happened.
The man’s nationality has not been revealed yet, but he is believed to be from Bangladesh or Pakistan.