Connect with us

International

S Jaishankar and his Pakistan counterpart Qureshi to attend Dushanbe meet

Published

on

(Asian News Hub) – Indian external affairs minister Dr S Jaishankar and his Pakistani counterpart Shah Mahmood Qureshi will attend the Ninth Ministerial Conference of the “Heart of Asia” on March 30 in Dushanbe, Tajikistan.

This is after many years that both Indian and Pakistani foreign ministers will be together under one roof. As of now, there is no confirmation of any meeting happening between the two sides.


The development comes even as a number of conciliatory comments are coming from Pakistan, by Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan, Pakistani Army chief Qamar Javed Bajwa.

On Thursday (March 19), speaking at the Islamabad security dialogue, the Pakistani Army Chief said, “We feel it is time to bury the past and move forward.” Earlier, at the same platform, Imran Khan talked about trade in the region can only prosper if India takes “the first step”.


Earlier in the week, India’s foreign secretary Harsh Shringla said, “India desires good neighbourly relations with Pakistan and is committed to addressing issues, if any, bilaterally and peacefully.”


“Any meaningful dialogue can only be held in a conducive atmosphere and the onus is on Pakistan to create such an atmosphere,” he added.


Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process is a decade old initiative of Afghan-Turkey that has 15 countries as part of it. The initiative aims at peace in Afghanistan. Most of the countries are Afghanistan’s Neighbours and west Asian countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and UAE as part of it. India hosted the same meet in 2016 in Amritsar.

Continue Reading

International

Afghanistan: 37 killed, over 70 injured as blast hits Shia mosque in Kandahar

Published

on

(Asian News Hub) – Suicide bombers assaulted a Shiite mosque in southern Afghanistan that was packed with worshippers attending weekly Friday prayers, killing at least 37 people and wounding more than 70, Associated Press reported quoting hospital official and an eyewitness.

The attack on the Imam Barga mosque came a week after a bombing claimed by a local Islamic State affiliate killed 46 people at a Shiite mosque in northern Afghanistan.

Also Read: Amit Shah warns Pakistan, refers to surgical strike

Murtaza, an eye-witness who like many Afghans goes by one name, said four suicide bombers attacked the mosque. Two detonated their explosives at a security gate, allowing the other two to run inside and strike the congregation of worshippers.

Speaking to The Associated Press by phone, he said Friday prayers are typically attended by around 500 people.

Continue Reading

International

At least 20 killed, over 300 injured in an earthquake in Pakistan

Published

on

(Asian News Hub) – At least 20 people were killed and over 300 others injured after a powerful 5.9 earthquake struck Pakistan’s Balochistan province early on Thursday, October 7, 2021, according to PTI quoting media reports.

Disaster management officials said the death toll may increase, Geo News reported.

According to the seismological centre, the epicentre was located near Harnai at a depth of 15 km.

The Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) said many of the dead were women and children.

The quake affected Quetta, Sibi, Harnai, Pishin, Qila Saifullah, Chaman, Ziarat and Zhob in Balochistan.

Images on social media showed people in the city of Quetta out on the streets in the aftermath of the quake, Dawn newspaper reported.

Aftershocks are still being felt in different areas. The earliest tremors were felt at 3:20 am after which panicked citizens rushed out of their houses reciting verses from the holy Quran. Relief and rescue activities are underway, with an emergency declared in all hospitals.

According to Deputy Commissioner of Harnai Sohail Anwar Hashmi, several people have been rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

He said that several buildings in Harnai have been damaged. Many people were left buried under the rubble.

The power supply to the area has been suspended, he said.

According to the rescue sources, more than 70 houses were reported damaged in Harnai.

Continue Reading

International

World surpasses 5M COVID-19 deaths

Published

on

(Asian News Hub) – The coronavirus death toll around the world surpassed 5 million on Friday, according to Reuters’s tally.

Around the world, an average of 8,000 deaths a day were reported, according to the outlet. However, it noted that the global death rate has slowed in recent weeks.

Reuters reported that it took over a year to accumulate 2.5 million deaths, but it took under eight months to accumulate the second 2.5 million deaths.

Continue Reading

Trending