Connect with us

International

In a first, China reveals 04 soldiers killed in Galvan valley clash

Published

on

(Asian News Hub) – For the first time, China on Friday honoured its four soldiers killed during clashes with Indian Army troops at Galwan Valley In June 2020, Chinese state media said.

Chen Hongjun, Chen Xiangrong, Xiao Siyuan and Wang Zhuoran died during what Chinese state media described as a “fierce struggle” against “foreign troops” that violated an agreement and crossed into the Chinese side.

Chen was posthumously awarded the title of “Guardian of the Frontier Hero,” while the other three men were also given first-class merit citations.

India and China have sought to de-escalate the situation at the border in eastern Ladakh ever since violence erupted last year in which both sides suffered casualties.

While India had lost 20 soldiers during the clash, China never declared the numbers of its soldiers killed.

On the other hand, Indian Army Commander Lieutenant General YC Joshi quoted a Russian agency which claimed that 45 Chinese PLA soldiers were killed on June 15, 2020.

Earlier this week, China and India began to pull back troops, tanks and other equipment from the banks of Pangong Tso, a glacial lake in the Ladakh region, that became a flashpoint in the prolonged border dispute after reaching an agreement to do so this month.

For almost 9 months, the forces of India and China remained face to face and during this period, the situation deteriorated on several occasions.

Lt Gen YK Joshi, the Chief of the Army’s Northern Command, has told in an interview how China’s attitude softened and it was forced to retreat. He said that when the dialogue did not get the desired success, then the army received special instructions from higher command.

In these instructions, it was asked to do something that would put pressure on China. After this, on the intervening night of August 29-30, the Indian troops captured Rejang La and Rechin La on the southern shore of Pangong Lake and India again regained control.

AGENCY

Continue Reading

International

Afghanistan: 37 killed, over 70 injured as blast hits Shia mosque in Kandahar

Published

on

(Asian News Hub) – Suicide bombers assaulted a Shiite mosque in southern Afghanistan that was packed with worshippers attending weekly Friday prayers, killing at least 37 people and wounding more than 70, Associated Press reported quoting hospital official and an eyewitness.

The attack on the Imam Barga mosque came a week after a bombing claimed by a local Islamic State affiliate killed 46 people at a Shiite mosque in northern Afghanistan.

Also Read: Amit Shah warns Pakistan, refers to surgical strike

Murtaza, an eye-witness who like many Afghans goes by one name, said four suicide bombers attacked the mosque. Two detonated their explosives at a security gate, allowing the other two to run inside and strike the congregation of worshippers.

Speaking to The Associated Press by phone, he said Friday prayers are typically attended by around 500 people.

Continue Reading

International

At least 20 killed, over 300 injured in an earthquake in Pakistan

Published

on

(Asian News Hub) – At least 20 people were killed and over 300 others injured after a powerful 5.9 earthquake struck Pakistan’s Balochistan province early on Thursday, October 7, 2021, according to PTI quoting media reports.

Disaster management officials said the death toll may increase, Geo News reported.

According to the seismological centre, the epicentre was located near Harnai at a depth of 15 km.

The Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) said many of the dead were women and children.

The quake affected Quetta, Sibi, Harnai, Pishin, Qila Saifullah, Chaman, Ziarat and Zhob in Balochistan.

Images on social media showed people in the city of Quetta out on the streets in the aftermath of the quake, Dawn newspaper reported.

Aftershocks are still being felt in different areas. The earliest tremors were felt at 3:20 am after which panicked citizens rushed out of their houses reciting verses from the holy Quran. Relief and rescue activities are underway, with an emergency declared in all hospitals.

According to Deputy Commissioner of Harnai Sohail Anwar Hashmi, several people have been rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

He said that several buildings in Harnai have been damaged. Many people were left buried under the rubble.

The power supply to the area has been suspended, he said.

According to the rescue sources, more than 70 houses were reported damaged in Harnai.

Continue Reading

International

World surpasses 5M COVID-19 deaths

Published

on

(Asian News Hub) – The coronavirus death toll around the world surpassed 5 million on Friday, according to Reuters’s tally.

Around the world, an average of 8,000 deaths a day were reported, according to the outlet. However, it noted that the global death rate has slowed in recent weeks.

Reuters reported that it took over a year to accumulate 2.5 million deaths, but it took under eight months to accumulate the second 2.5 million deaths.

Continue Reading

Trending