Connect with us


77-year-old jailed TeH Chairman Ashraf Sehrai dies, tests COVID-19 positive posthumously

Ambulance provided to shift body to Kupwara, funeral at 10 am tomorrow; only 20 people allowed to participate in funeral, last rites: Family

(Asian News Hub) – Tehreek-e-Hurriyat (TeH) Chairman Muhammad Ashraf Sehrai died in Government Medical College (GMC) Jammu after developing serious breathing issues on Wednesday.

Officials told that Sehrai who was shifted from Udhampur jail to GMC Jammu yesterday had developed serious breathing issues and breathed his last this afternoon.

“He had multiple ailments and his condition had deteriorated in Udhampur jail after which he was shifted to GMC Jammu on Tuesday,” the officials said. “Sehrai tested positive for Covid post his death as his samples were taken soon after his admission in the GMC Jammu.”

The family of Sehrai, told KNO that an ambulance has been provided and the body will reach Kashmir probably midnight.

The family members said that the authorities have not allowed the funeral prayers at Srinagar and thus the last rites will be performed in Kupwara.

They said only 20 persons have been allowed to participate in the funeral prayers and performing last rites, adding that it has not been decided yet who will lead the funeral prayers. “Let’s see who will be allowed to participate first,” he said.

“The last rites including the burial will be performed till 10:00 AM tomorrow,” the family members said.


Sehrai was born in 1944 in Tekipora village of Lolab area of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district, completed his primary education in his hometown Tekipora and secondary education from Sogam Lolab High School in 1959.

Sehrai did his Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Urdu from Aligarh Muslim University in Uttar Pradesh. He was fond of writing and his writings as well as poems were mostly published in different media outlets including ‘Tulu’, which he started publishing in 1969 from Sopore area of Baramulla district. The magazine being published by him was shut down in 1971.

Sehrai became an affiliate of Syed Ali Shah Geelani in 1959 and became his close aide and friend. He became the member of Jamaat-e-Islami in 1960 and was incarcerated for the first time in the year 1965 over anti-government activities after he delivered a speech criticizing Ghulam Mohammed Sadiq’s government for repression of free speech and arrest of members of the Moh-e-Muqaddas Majlis-e-Amal.

After leaving Jamaat-e-Islami, Sehrai was appointed as Tehreek-e-Hurriyat’s General Secretary in the year 2004 during its foundation. Later on March 19, 2018, he was appointed the acting chairman of Tehreek-e-Hurriyat after Geelani stepped down.

Sehrai was elected as Chairman Tehreek-e-Hurriyat for three years on 19 August by a margin of 410 votes out of a total of 433.

Sehrai had six children –four sons and two daughters. The youngest son of Sehrai, Junaid Sehrai joined militant ranks in March 2018 and was killed on May 19, 2020 in an encounter by the government forces in Srinagar.

In July 2020, he was arrested under Public Safety Act and was serving imprisonment in district jail of Udhampur. His health deteriorated on May 04, 2021 following which he was subsequently admitted at Government Medical College, Jammu where he died today.



Active Al-Badr militant found dead in Soura, Sgr

(Asian News Hub) – Body of an active militant from Al-Badr outfit was found in Soura area of Srinagar on Saturday late evening, officials said.

They said police came to know about the body of an active militant of Al-Badr lying on a roadside near Soura area of Srinagar. A police official told that the body of the militant identified as Amir Ahmed Malik, 23, a C category A-Badr militant.  “Malik was active since November 2020. He hails from Hyder Gund, Zainapora area of Shopian,” the official said.

A police official said it seems that the militant was killed in a “group clash” even as further investigations are on.


Continue Reading


Lady dies, minor boy injured in Doda road accident

Anzer Ayoob

(Asian News Hub) – A lady died while a minor boy was injured after a vehicle they were travelling in met with an accident near Police Station Assar in Doda district on Sunday.

An official said that a swift vehicle bearing registration number JK02CC-8873 was on its way from Jammu to Bhaderwah when it skidded off the road and rolled down from National Highway.l, leaving a lady dead on the spot and also left a minor boy wounded.

He said that the deceased lady identified as Babita Manhas, wife of late Krishan Manhas and injured minor identified as 11-yr-old Rehan Manhas are residents of Gandoh area of Doda district and presently residing at Jammu.


Continue Reading


4 including 2 civilians, 2 cops killed in Sopore militant attack

Police officer among 4 others injured; Injured civilian critical; Militants targeted police party enforcing Covid lockdown; Lashkar behind strike, have identified attackers, says DGP Dilbagh Singh

Peerzada Waseem

(Asian News Hub) – MilitantsSaturday attacked a police party at main chowk of Sopore in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district in which two policemen and two civilians were killed while a police officer among four others sustained bullet injuries.

Among two injured civilians, the condition of one is stated as critical. A police official told that militants targeted a police party at main chowk Sopore when they were enforcing carona curfew in the area. “The militants fired indiscriminately at the police party killing two policemen and two civilians. Two more cops and two civilians sustained injuries who are being treated in the hospital,” the officials said.

The injured, police official said, were first shifted to Sub-District Hospital Sopore wherefrom one policeman was shifted to SMHS hospital Srinagar for treatment. Hospitals sources at SDH Sopore told that two policeman and two civilians were brought to hospital in multiple bullet injuries after which they succumbed.

The slain policemen were identified as Constable Waseem Ahmed son of Muhamamd Saqiq Bhat of Narbal, Srinagar and constable Showkat Ahmed son of Abdul Gani, resident of Goripora, Beerwah Budgam. The dead civilians were identified as Bashir Ahmed Khan son of Ghulam Hassan of Mohalla Taliyan, Sopore and Showkat Ahmed Shalla son of Ghulam Qadir of Shalimar Colony Sopore.

Sources identified the injured Sub-Inspector as Mukesh Kumar and SPO Danish Ahmed. The injured civilian has been identified as Nayeem Ahmed Khan son of Muhammad Maqbool, a resident of Maharajpora, Sopore, who has been referred to SMHS hospital Srinagar where his condition is stated as critical. “He has received bullet injury in his thigh and abdomen,” hospital sources said. Police, however, said that four civilians sustained injuries of which two succumbed. The identity of second injured civilian couldn’t be ascertained.

A pall of gloom descended on Sopore, Srinagar and Beerwah localities when bodies of four—two cops and two civilians reached their respective homes. The bodies of two slain cops were first taken to District Police Lines (DPL) Srinagar where police paid rich tributes to them.

Director General of Police (J&K) Dilbagh Singh, who paid floral tributes to the slain cops at DPL Srinagar, said that Lashkar-e-Toiba militant outfit was behind the Sopore attack, in which two cops and two civilians were killed and three others were injured. Talking to the reporters on the sidelines of wrath laying ceremony of two cops here, Dilbag Singh, said that LeT outfit was involved in this attack and they have identified the attackers, however, further details will not be shared at the moment.

Singh said that to enforce Covid appropriate behaviour in view of the Covid-19 pandemic, a party from Sopore police station under the charge of sub-inspector Mukesh Kumar was deployed in the chowk when the attack took place.

He said that the firing was retaliated by the police party during which some personnel were injured and civilians who had set up their fruit and vegetables stalls nearby also got injured.

“Subsequently, two injured cops succumbed to their injuries, identified as constable Waseem and constable Showkat and sub-inspector Mukesh and SPO Danish got injured. Three civilians were also injured of whom two later succumbed while another one was referred to Srinagar hospital for treatment,” he said

He said they were looking into all the angles of the attack and forces have also launched a follow-up operation in the area and the perpetrators of the crime will be soon brought to justice.

Replying to a query, Singh said that militancy was declining and control of the forces in all the areas was very good while operations were also being carried out. “However, due to Covid-19 there has been a decline in anti-militancy operations but the forces still have an upper hand and we are launching operation in all the areas as well,” he said.

He said that under these circumstances these incidents happen and all those who are involved in these attacks will be not be spared at any cost.


Continue Reading